International StudentsProcedure for Issuing an I-20
Westbury Christian School is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.
STEP 1: Transcript, Testing, Interview
The following documents should be mailed, faxed or emailed (email@example.com) to the Admissions Office. If records are approved, the student will be given an appointment for a Skype Interview. Applicants should speak, understand and read English; Westbury Christian School does not offer a comprehensive ESL program.
- A transcript of the student’s grades for the past 3 years. (Transcript must be in English with a grading scale.) Records must be approved by an administrator at WCS.
- Results of an English Proficiency Test for applicants for grades 6-12. Testing is available in most countries. (We will accept TOEFL.Junior, iTEP SLATE, IELTS and other approved English proficiency tests.) Students who want to transfer to Westbury Christian from another school in the United States may be required to take the ISEE test.
- Recent photograph of the student and a paragraph (short essay) written by the student telling us something about themselves. (hobbies, likes, dislikes, family, school, etc.)
- Send student’s SKYPE ID for the SKYPE Interview with the Director of Admissions. The student needs a computer with a working camera for the SKYPE Interview.
After the Skype Interview, applicant will be notified of acceptance or denial within 3-4 days. If applicant is accepted, move on to Step 2.
STEP 2: Documents Required before Issuing the I-20 Document
- Copy of Passport or birth certificate.
- Letter from a reputable Bank (signed by a bank officer) stating that parents, guardian or student has an account of a least $35,000.00. (Proof of financial support is required on I-20 form.) The “Affidavit of Financial Support” must also be completed and submitted. This form can be found on our website on the International Information page.
- Letter from parents designating a guardian for student while attending school. The letter must be in English, signed by the parents and officially notarized. WCS does not allow students to live by themselves or with other students. Student must live with the guardian.
- (Westbury Christian School does not provide homestays for international students. However, if an international student does not have housing arrangements, we will provide students with a list (if available) of families and individuals who have expressed an interest in hosting an international student. Westbury Christian School has not investigated the living arrangements, the pricing, or the suitability of these families and individuals. Westbury Christian School does a background check on each family. Parents must contact them directly to obtain any information they consider relevant and determine for themselves the suitability of these families or individuals to host and care for their child. Westbury Christian School will not issue an I-20 document until housing is arranged.)
- Copy of student’s immunization record (in English). Record must include all vaccinations from the birth of the student until the current year. WCS requires that students have a complete health examination before coming to the U.S., including the results of a TB test or chest x-ray. All vaccinations must be up-to-date as required by the Houston Health Department.
- Complete and submit the Online Application with the Fee of $75, including parent information and guardian information. “Household 1” on the application should be the Guardian’s information and “Household 2” should be the Parents’ information. In each area, “Parent/Guardian One” should be the male parent/guardian and “Parent/Guardian Two” should be the female parent/guardian. It is not necessary to list Grandparents who live out of the U.S.
- A WCS Contract signed by the parents of the student. (Contract can be found on our website on the International Information page.)
STEP 3: Payment of Tuition & Fees
All tuition and fees (listed below) must be paid before receiving the I-20 document, and must be paid with a cashier’s check or bank transfer of funds. If the student does not receive an F1 Visa, all tuition & fees will be refunded, except the Online Application Fee ($75), the Registration Fee ($1,550.00), and any insurance coverage billed. Tuition and Fees are not refundable, except when F1 is denied.
Tuition & Fees for 2018-2019:*
$25,080.00 (Grades 7-8)
$26,340.00 (Grades 9-11)
*Includes Registration Fee, lunch, use of laptop computer, Activities Fee, Technology Fee, Math Placement Testing & health (accident and sickness) insurance.** Also includes the one-week International Summer Institute for International Students (see information below). Other fees applicable to the student will be billed after enrollment (AP classes, AP textbooks, etc.)
Special Note: Tutoring will be required when a student fails English or two other core subjects, and any fees associated will be billed to the student through RenWeb.
Second year students who do not require subsequent ESL support (as determined by WCS) will pay $4000 less tuition the second year.
Westbury Christian School reserves the right to require a student to withdraw from school who is not making satisfactory progress in English and other subjects during the first semester. All tuition and fees paid are non-refundable.
STEP 4: Issue I-20 Document
The I-20 Document can usually be issued in 24-48 hours of receiving all required documents and payment of tuition and fees. The I-20 document can be picked up by the guardian or WCS can send the documents overseas.
(The FedEx fee will be charged to the student account.)
STEP 5: Payment of I-901 Fee
All applicants applying for an F-1 Visa must also pay the I-901 Fee. This fee of $200 is paid to the U.S. Government. It can be paid on-line. (www.fmjfee.com) The family must have the receipt for payment of the I-901 fee before going to the U.S. Consulate/Embassy for the F1 appointment. The student must have a Sevis identification number (found in the upper left side on the I-20) before the fee can be paid. Go to the Sevis website for more information (https://www.ice.gov/sevis).
STEP 6: Notification of Results of F1 Interview and Arrival Date in Houston
The student or parent/guardian must notify the Admissions Office at Westbury Christian School as soon as possible regarding the results of the Interview at the American Consulate/Embassy. The Admissions Office also must be notified regarding the date when the student will be arriving in Houston in order that the student can receive an appointment for completion of enrollment. Bring a copy of the approved I-20 document and the student Visa to your appointment.
*NOTE: Student may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before the start date on the I-20 document.
Other Important Information
International Summer Institute:
The tuition payment includes a one-week International Summer Institute for students entering grades 7-12. Students will receive intensive English instruction as well as orientation for the school year. The International Summer Institute is scheduled for July 25-July 31, 2018.
Uniforms are required and the cost is not included in the Tuition and Fees listed above. See WCS website for additional information.
Student Health Insurance:
Westbury Christian School requires that all international students have health (accident and sickness) insurance. The cost of the insurance for the school year is included in the “Tuition and Fees” listed above. Insurance must be renewed every year the student attends Westbury Christian School. Insurance coverage begins on July 16, 2018, and ends on June 15, 2019, for full year students. For Spring Semester students, coverage begins on January 1, 2019, and ends on May 31, 2019. Students may also use a different insurance provider, but must provide the Admissions Office the document showing “proof of insurance” no later than July 1, 2018.
Evaluation of Records (Evaluation must be received prior to the student attending classes.)
Evaluation of all high school records by an outside independent agency is required by school administration for all students accepted to Westbury Christian School, with fees being the responsibility of the applicant. The cost of the evaluation (Course Analysis) by Spantran is about $170. See www.spantran.com for more information.
Extended Care for Middle and Upper School Students:
Extended Care service is offered by Westbury Christian School as a convenience for working parents/guardians, in an effort to provide reasonable safety and supervision in after school care at a minimal cost ($3 per half hour or any part of a half hour). Students are required to be in Extended Care if they remain anywhere on campus after 3:45 pm, until a parent/guardian picks them up. See the Parent-Student Handbook for more detailed information.
Deadline: April 15, 2018
Contact Mrs. Ann Arnold in the Admissions Office (713-551-8100, ext. 1015) or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or to make an appointment.